Each year it gets more and more difficult. And I’m not referring to remembering my password for the once-a-year login to update this blog!
Instead I refer to the annual self-shaming of how my year has been, matching up with the resolutions I told myself I would achieve 365 days ago. Last year I achieved 6 and a half of my resolutions – so that’s the figure to beat.
Let’s see how I got on this year…
- Read more books – umm, sort of. I read a couple this year but not enough to say this has been ‘achieved’. I give this a half.
- Go on another amazing holiday with Joanna – easy! We went on two holidays that were amazing: Croatia and Berlin. Oh, three if you count Cornwall with Jo’s fantastic family as well.
- Research and prepare to move out, into a new place of my own in London – well no in the sense I haven’t moved anywhere yet, but yes Joanna and I sure have done our research and have a plan for the next few years. Achieved!
- Get over my fear of dentists – haha, umm, well, er…. no.
- Cycle and run more, especially in the summer – absolutely, I made a real effort this year and it was great – averaged a run a week during the summer/autumn and long may it continue. Not so much on the bike but I’m not bothered by that.
- Build a website and design other elements for my sister’s new business – yes, yes, yes! New website launching in a few weeks, and the business cards are already here.
- Write and call my grandparents more (since I failed to do so in 2014) – to an extent, yes, but probably still not as much as should be. Half point.
- Cook more healthy meals in the evenings – difficult to measure with my nomadic lifestyle… I think so yes. Half point.
- Continue to work hard in my job and take on more editing project leads – it’s been a great year at work, taking on more projects myself and completing a number of fantastic edits. Achieved!
- Shave more regularly (beards never look good on me) – I do shave, I think, to tick this resolution… but I doubt Joanna would agree. Half point and then.
Which means… seven out of ten! A new P.B.!
Now for 2016. You heard it here first…
- Exercise – run or cycle every week, without fail.
- Running – do another half (or full) marathon in 2016.
- Reading – more books when commuting, less phone games.
- Travel – two more fantastic holidays with Joanna.
- Health – stop my terrible habit of rubbing/picking/irritating the skin on my chin.
- Work – diversify in editing (i.e. Avid) or animation (i.e. 3D).
- Social – devote more time to meet up with friends, especially old friends.
- Leisure – discover interesting and cool parts of London I’ve never been before.
- Concentration – stop procrastinating at work and live the “do more” mentality.
- Alcohol – drink less, save money, fewer hangovers, happiness all round!
Come back in late 2016 to see how I get on.